Update 02/07/2019 – Director Representative of the Athletes has been appointed as follows:
Director Representative of the Athletes job description
Job Title: Director Representative of the Athletes
Location: To cover the whole of England (National role)
Salary: voluntary role
Responsible to: SportCheer England (SCE) board
Start date: Late June/early July 2019
Term length: 2 years
The Director Representative of the Athletes will be responsible for representing the interests of athletes nationally across England; requiring them to always look to the athletes’ interests first, in any decision making made by the board, and to hold the board accountable to its responsibilities to its members. They will be required to build credibility quickly by establishing strong relationships competitive programmes, after-school clubs, Local Authorities and other organisations offering cheerleading.
- Represent the interests of athletes at SCE meetings, AGMs and other relevant events.
- Work with SCE to help develop national and district level strategy, planning and implementation.
- To build relationships with competitive programmes/clubs, after-school clubs, and other leisure providers offering cheerleading.
- Understand the challenges clubs face and work proactively to help them find local, regional and national solutions that support athlete development and safeguarding.
- Ensure that there is an effective two-way communication process between the National Governing Body and the athletes represented by them.
- Prepare reports and communications for the SCE as appropriate.
- Any other reasonable management request.
The Director Representative of the Athletes must demonstrate through their behaviour the values of SportCheer England:
- The candidate can demonstrate experience of success in this type of role and the possession of high levels of numeracy and literacy skills and the intellectual capacity and flexibility to cope with the work involved.
- Relevant industry qualifications from other sectors very desirable i.e. customer service, communications.
- Cheerleading coaching / judging qualifications could be advantageous.
- Ability to demonstrate people management.
- Knowledge and understanding of the day to day governance, management and operations of local cheerleading clubs is highly desirable.
- An ability to put aside personal affiliations and opinion, in order to work with others to meet the aims and objectives of SportCheer England.
- Experience in the sport and the voluntary sector.
- Have general up to date knowledge of current legislation in cheerleading including child protection, health and safety, etc.
- Demonstrable ability to communicate accurately and clearly in written and verbal communications, including presentations.
- The ability to deliver successfully and calmly in high pressure environments.
- Be a team player with the ability to work from own initiative.
- Ability to analyse and problem-solve.
- Performance driven and intensely customer focused.
- The willingness and ability to work unsociable hours and travel as and when required and reasonable.
This job description is not intended to be regarded as inclusive or exhaustive and will be amended in the light of the changing needs of the organisation.
Eligibility – Any individual, who is eighteen (18) years of age or older, who is a resident of England as defined in the Income Tax Act, who has the power under law to contract, who has not been declared incapable by a court in England, in any constituent country of the United Kingdom or in another country, and who does not have the status of bankrupt, may be nominated for election or appointment as the Director Representative of the Athletes. The Director Representative of the Athletes must reside in the region to which they are elected.